The church, built in the years 1499-1515 by the Franciscan observant monks, is famous for its magnificent fresco on the main partition with Stories of the Passion of Jesus (1529), a masterpiece of the painter Bernardino Luini (ca. 1480- ca. 1531), whose work is one of the highest achievements of Renaissance painting Lombard influence of Leonardo; also from Luini are the frescoes of the Madonna and Child with St. John the Baptist (the first side chapel) and the Last Supper (on the south wall of the nave), both already in the adjoining convent.
The church is located at the end of Via Nassa, the glamor street of Lugano within an easy walk from the Hotel Federale, the entrance to the new square of the LAC (center Lugano Art and Culture) and the southern entrance of the city of Lugano. Also spectacular is the cloister of the old convent, now converted into a room for receptions and offices of the new center LAC.

360view