Hotel Federale, in the heart of Lugano
Hotel Federale is located in the center of Lugano, very close to railway station and at the beginning of pedestrian zone. Take advantage of our privileged location to organize your stay in Lugano.
From Hotel Federale discover Lugano on foot. Discover the most significant corners of the city, like Parco Ciani citypark, via Nassa shopping mile and the casino. Lakeshore walk and congress center are within walking distance as well.
Hotel Federale is also an ideal base for discovering the most enchanted places of Switzerland. Fly into Milano Malpensa, take the shuttle to Lugano and then with the Swisspass for public transport, discover Switzerland. Many scenic mountain routes pass by Lugano: Bernina Express, Palm Express, Willhelm Tell Express and the small train to Ponte Tresa Italy.
How to reach us
ON FOOT FROM THE TRAIN STATION
When standing on the piazza in front of Lugano train station, look over the city and you will see the Hotel Federale sign on our roof. Follow one of the following options:
1. Walk toward the pedestrian bridge with a few steps and then walk downhill the small pathway toward the hotel entrance. Download the map
2. Turn and walk to your right, cross the road by the roundabout (no steps) and come back to the left. Walk downhill the small pathway toward the hotel entrance. Download the map
Travel on highway E35/A2: take Lugano Nord exit
At the first roundabout follow Breganzona/Massagno (do NOT take the tunnel to Lugano). At the 2nd roundabout, go straight.
At the traffic light, take the middle lane and follow CENTRO (city center). Continue driving and pass through another traffic light, and the road will go down a hill toward the city center.
When you reach a very short tunnel (it’s the station underpass) stay in the right lane and take the mandatory right turn at the exit of the tunnel.
Continue straight for 250 meters (300 yards), and you will reach the next roundabout.
Take the second exit and continue straight for 150 meter (200 yards).
Take first left after roundabout by crossing a small bridge.
Turn left again and drive down a steep narrow road, make next left at the bottom and you will have reached the hotel (on the right). The hotel offers underground parking.
Travel on highway E35/A2: take Lugano Sud exit
At the traffic light, at the end of the highway, turn left direction train station.
Continue uphill and pass through 2 traffic lights.
Once at the end of driving uphill, you will see at your left a railway crossing. Stay on the road, and just 10 meters after, take first right by crossing a small bridge.
Turn sharp left and drive down a steep narrow road, make next left at the bottom and you will have reached the hotel (on the right). The hotel offers underground parking.
Lugano is on the north-south route, from Rome to Hamburg. There are direct train connections (without train changes) departing from:
Milano Centrale (about 1 hour travel)
Zurich HB (about 2.5 hours travel)
Lucern (about 2.5 hours travel)
Basel SBB (a little less than 4 hours travel)
If you live abroad, you can take advantage of the Swiss Travel System. Pay a fix price and travel for as many days as you choose in Switzerland.
If you spend some days in Lugano or in Ticino, you may consider our regional travel pass called Discovery Card. For a price of CHF 87,00 for an adult, you travel free in Ticino during 3 days out of 7, including the very most tourist attractions as well.
The Discovery Card can be purchased at the hotel, or at any train station in Switzerland. Valid also for Swiss residents.
Lugano lies south of the alps and is thus very close to the Milano Metropolitan area. Milano has 3 airports, and the closest one is Milano Malpensa airport (MXP).
Airports listed by distance from Lugano:
1. Lugano-Agno airport (LUG). It is at a 10 minutes drive from the hotel.
2. Milano Malpensa airport (MXP). Direct airport shuttle. Traveltime is about 65 minutes to Lugano. The bus stop in Lugano is at the train station, which is at only 2-3 walking minutes from the hotel. Direct shuttle bus service.
3. Milano Linate airport (LIN). First reach Milano Centrale train station by shuttle bus, then take a train to Lugano (traveltime approx 2 hours).
4. Milano Bergamo Orio al Serio airport (BGY) (Ryanair). First reach Milano Centrale train station by shuttle bus, then take a train to Lugano (traveltime approx 2.5 hours).
5. Zurich airport (ZRH). Train travel to Lugano with one change in Zurich HB main station, then direct to Lugano. Traveltime approx 3 hours.